This list of frequently asked questions will take you directly to the information that you may be looking for within the toolkit.
Section 1 – identifying clients with deteriorating health
- How easy is it to identify clients with advanced ill health potentially approaching end of life?
- When and how should we seek support and advice?
- What tools are used to identify when someone may be approaching end of life?
- What are the trajectories of illnesses that are common among homeless populations
Section 2 – supporting clients palliative and end of life care needs
- What is palliative care and how could it be helpful in supporting you and clients?
- What are the challenges in accessing palliative care for people who are homeless?
- Are there criteria for accessing specialist palliative care?
- How can we work with uncertainty to plan ahead to support clients with deteriorating health?
- How could the multi-agency team help in supporting clients’ with deteriorating health?
- What is advance care planning?
- What is mental capacity and who can assess it?
Section 3 – shared care
Section 4 – communicating about what matters to clients
- What enables effective communication?
- How do we find out what matters to clients?
- What might help us with difficult conversations?
- When is the right time to have conversations?
- What might you like to explore with clients with deteriorating health?
- What difficulties might there be for you and your client in having these conversations?
- How can the multi-agency team support you around conversations with clients?
Section 5 – bereavement
- What needs to be done following the death of a client?
- How can we support clients after a death?
- How can we support ourselves and colleagues following a death?
- How can external bereavement services support both you and your clients?
- How can we remember a client after they have died?
- How do we arrange a public funeral?